How these cookies where invented:
My best friend is vegan and every year she makes us vegan treats for Christmas. One of the cookies this year was thumbprint cookies. They were so delicious! She sent me the recipe, but instead I thought I could modify my favorite thumbprint cookie recipe. She came over to help me bake my few first batches.
I knew I could substitute the regular butter for vegan butter. But, how was I going to replace the eggs? We decided to add applesauce and hope for the best!
• 4 cups all-purpose flour
• 3 tsp baking powder
• 1 1/2 cups vegan butter, room temperature
• 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
• 3 Tablespoons applesauce
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• Homemade strawberry jam (see additional recipe below)
1) In a medium bowl, stir together flour and baking powder until well blended. Set aside.
2) In a large bowl, cream vegan butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3) Add applesauce and vanilla extract. Blend well.
4) Slowly add the flour mixture into the large bowl until fully incorporated.
5) Chill dough for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight.
6) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheets with parchment or silicone mat.
7) Roll chilled dough into 1 tsp balls. Place cookies about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
8) Make a deep thumbprint in the center of each cookie. Add the thumbprint with 1/2 tsp of homemade jam.
8) Place trays in the refrigerator to chill for 10 minutes.
9) Once dough is chilled and firm bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool.
Hubby is a meat and potatoes guys, but he fell in love with these cookies! He even asked me to make these for his birthday this year!
Strawberry Jam Recipe
1 pound strawberries
1 and 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 juice of lemon
1)Combine strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in pot (preferably a dutch oven)
2) Heat on low for 2 hours. Stir occasionally and skim away foam on top.
3) Cool completely before filling cookies.
Homemade jam is so delicious and makes the whole house smell like fresh strawberries! If you are in a pinch for time I like to use Fiordifrutta-